Skip to content

Institutional Transfers – Incoming Faculty

When a PI accepts appointment at the University of Utah and requests continued support for a previously approved project at the exiting institution, the sponsor determines what is required to accomplish this. NIH is the only federal agency that has explicit forms and instructions for the transfer process. NSF has a similar, more general process, and corporations and foundations have their own procedures.

In order for OSP to coordinate a transfer with the exiting institution, the PI should send a copy of the original notice of award (NOA) and its corresponding relinquishing documents to his/her Sponsored Projects Officer and his/her new department administrator.  The PI can obtain these from the exiting institution’s Office of Sponsored Projects or equivalent.  The department administrator should initiate a DSS for each transferring award and use the Department Chair as a proxy for the PI, if needed.

For information on the NSF or NIH transfer processes see below.

If the sponsor’s conditions or other programmatic or administrative requirements are not met, the sponsor may disapprove the request and, if appropriate, terminate the award.

Note: The University of Utah has a transfer acceptance rate whereby it waives a portion of overhead in cases where the prior institutions F&A rate is lower than that of the University and when the sponsor will not allow an adjustment.

Last Updated: 5/19/23