Skip to content

Procedure Library

Sponsored Projects

New Investigator Checklist


Checklist to assist investigators with sponsored project proposals and compliance.


Principal Investigators (PIs) who are new to the University and/or have never submitted a proposal for a sponsored project (fellowship, grant, or contract). For additional details, review the relevant procedure or web page, or contact OSP.


  1. The University uses eProposal for Document Summary Sheet approvals and internal routing. The incoming investigator may not show in eProposal if they do not have a University Network ID (uNID) or if they are not active with Human Resources and/or do not have a role that would qualify them for PI status. If the incoming investigator has a uNID but isn't showing in eProposal, the department will need to establish an active unpaid job code. When that is in effect, the department should email the uNID to OSP along with the investigator's name and request that he/she be added to eProposal. Once he/she is added, you will be able to initiate a DSS for transferring grants.
    1. As a general rule, PI's work with their department administrator(s) to develop proposal budgets, gather proposal documents, and enter data and attachments in eProposal. PI's prepare the proposal narratives (such as the project description or scope of work) and may enter information and attachments in eProposal.
    2. For information about including a subrecipient in a proposal, see Include Subrecipients in a Proposal Budget procedure.
  2. To apply for, or be included as a co-investigator on National Institutes of Health (NIH) grants, investigators need an NIH eRA Commons User ID (see procedure) that is affiliated with University of Utah. To apply for National Science Foundation (NSF) grants, investigators need access to NSF Fastlane (see procedure).
  3. To apply for, or be included as a co-investigator on National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant proposals or proposals to other Public Health Service agencies and offices, investigators must complete Financial Conflict of Interest training. The online training module is available through the Conflict of Interest Office. See Conflict of Interest training.
  4. To transfer a grant from the investigator's former institution, see Institutional Transfers - Incoming and the grant transfer procedure.
  5. Investigators who propose the use of human subjects in research must take required training and submit protocols for approval.
  6. Investigators who plan to do animal research must take required training and submit protocols for approval.
  7. Investigators who do laboratory research must take laboratory safety training and may have other safety training requirements, depending on the work in the laboratory.
    1. When applicable, investigators must register use of infectious agents, select agents, pathogens, recombinant DNA or RNA, toxins, non-human primates, sheep, goats, and material of human origin.
  8. Investigators who wish to hire a foreign national employee or recruit a foreign national visiting scientist/scholar must work with their department administrator and the Office of International Services to obtain the appropriate visa for the foreign national employee or visitor. In this context, "foreign national" means a person who is not a U.S. citizen or a U.S. permanent resident. See also the Visiting Scientist or Scholar Agreement.
  9. Investigators who wish to work with a research material from a colleague at another institution or from a company need a Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) that authorizes use of the materials and defines intellectual property rights and other terms. Investigators transferring to Utah may need a MTA for research materials they are bringing from their former institution.
  10. Sign up for the Research News list to receive news and notifications from the VPR office. 

Related Policies and Procedures

Be notified of page updates

Procedure Library Feedback

Do you have comments or suggestions for this procedure?

Last Updated: 4/29/24