Skip to content

Procedure Library

Sponsored Projects

Transfer a Grant to University of Utah


Address key steps for moving a sponsored project (grant or other award) to the University with an incoming investigator.


Principal Investigators (PIs) new to University of Utah and transferring a sponsored project from another institution. When an investigator transfers to Utah, the investigator may have a sponsored project that will transfer to Utah.

For additional information, please review the information on Institutional Transfers.


  1. The department administrator should create a Document Summary Sheet (DSS) for the incoming project.
    1. The incoming investigator may not show in eProposal if they do not have a University Network ID (uNID) or if they are not active with Human Resources and/or do not have a role that would qualify them for PI status.
    2. The incoming investigator needs a uNID and an active non-paid job code, in order to be added to eProposal. Once those things are in place, please email the uNID to OSP along with the investigator's name and request that he/she be added to eProposal. Once he/she is added, you will be able to initiate the DSS.
  2. Follow the eRA Commons Access and NSF Fastlane Access procedures to affiliate your existing account with Utah in these systems, if required for transferring sponsored project(s).
  3. Provide information to your University of Utah administrator about sponsored projects that will be transferred to Utah. You may also contact the Sponsored Projects Officer assigned to your department to ask questions or provide information. In most cases, the department administrator along with your SPO coordinates the transfer but only after the award has been relinquished and documentation has been provided by the exiting institution. To see what you need to provide, please review the information on Institutional Transfers - Incoming.
  4. If your work involves human subject research, animal research, or use of infectious agents, select agents, pathogens, recombinant DNA or RNA, contact the relevant office for information about required training and assistance with protocol preparation and submission.
  5. Working with the department administrator:
    1. Enter information in eProposal for Document Summary Sheet approval routing for each transferring project.
    2. Prepare a budget for each transferring project, including University F&A costs and fringe benefit rates.
    3. Identify subrecipients, if any, related to the project, and include them in the proposal and budget in eProposal. Remember that a subaward may need to be issued to your former institution if there is ongoing project work by a co-investigator; and
    4. Respond to the questions in eProposal and route to the PI proxy/Department Chair as part of the submission process.
  6. Follow sponsor instructions for submission of the transfer proposal, electronically or otherwise.
    1. Typically, the sponsor will require information about the University of Utah, its facilities as they relate to the project, a budget for the transfer amount, and information about changes to the project or assurance that the project will be completed as proposed.
  7. A preliminary project (pre-award spending account) may be appropriate. Work with your department administrator to submit a request that would allow the project to be set up and project-related spending to occur before receipt of the transfer award from the sponsor.
  8. OSP will notify the investigator and the department, through PeopleSoft's electronic notifications, when the notice of award has arrived or when the preliminary project is being set up. The investigator will be asked to complete the Conflict of Interest (COI) step in order to finish the processing.
  9. Grants and Contracts Accounting (GCA) will notify the investigator and the department when the project (or preliminary project) for your transferred project has been set up.

Related Policies and Procedures


Be notified of page updates

Procedure Library Feedback

Do you have comments or suggestions for this procedure?

Last Updated: 4/29/24