Policies & Compliance
- Research Handbook
- 1. Roles & Responsibilities
- 2. Standards for Conduct of Research
- 3. Overview of Sponsored Projects Administration
- 4. Funding Sources & Opportunities
- 5. Proposal Development
- 6. Budget Development
- 7. Procedures for the Submission of Proposals
- 8. Award Acceptance
- 9. Award Management
- 10. Research Related Regulations, Policies & Procedures
- 11. Other Conduct of Research Issues
- 12. Acronyms & Definitions
- 13. Glossary
- Procedure Library
- Regulations Library
- Export Controls
Transfer of Equipment with Departing Faculty
Request transfer of equipment with a faculty member moving from the University of Utah to another institution.
Investigators and administrators who anticipate moving equipment to another organization. For more information on transferring an investigator to a new institution, review the information on Institutional Transfers. For assistance with specific questions or concerns regarding equipment transfer, contact OSP.
- If a Principal Investigator (PI) is transferring to a not-for-profit institution and
will continue on-going research, the PI may request to move equipment and other property
purchased from sponsored awards to the not-for-profit organization.
- Review award terms and conditions for any restrictions or approval requirements.
- Requests for transfer that may be rejected include:
- Equipment that was purchased from multiple awards with multiple investigators
- Equipment used by other researchers at Utah for ongoing projects
- Equipment purchased with federal contract funds
- Equipment will not be transferred if it was purchased solely or partly with State funds (for example, University of Utah Research Foundations funds, State of Utah sponsored funding).
- Equipment may be transferred if it was purchased from gift funds or was brought to Utah by the PI from a prior institution.
- A list of equipment purchased with sponsored project funding can be obtained from Property Accounting by providing that office with the list of PI's project numbers.
- The PI's request to transfer equipment must be made in writing. A Retirement Transfer Form needs to be completed and sent to Property Accounting along with the signed Relinquishing Memo.
- The PI's request to transfer equipment should be detailed in the Relinquishing Memo and be routed for approvals with the PI's request to transfer active sponsored projects. The request for equipment transfer must be approved by the Department Chair and Vice President for Research, along with approval to transfer the project.
- OSP may work with the PI's new institution for transfer and acceptance of title to the equipment.
Related Policies and Procedures
- Retirement Transfer Form (Property Accounting Form)
- Resources > Forms > Institutional Transfers
- Resource > Forms > Institutional Transfers > Outgoing Faculty > NIH Transfer Process
- Resource > Forms > Institutional Transfers > Outgoing Faculty > NSF Transfer Process
- Resources > Forms > Relinquishing Memo
- Resources > Forms > Change of PI Form
Be notified of page updates
Procedure Library Feedback
Do you have comments or suggestions for this procedure?