Skip to content

Procedure Library

Sponsored Projects

Closing Out an Award Overview


Overview of requirements for award closeout.


Principal Investigators (PIs) and administrators managing sponsored projects.

Both the University and sponsors have requirements for closeout of an award at the end of the project period. Some sponsors require an annual closeout even when an award is expected to continue.

For more information on this topic, review the Grant Life Cycle section on Closeout.


  1. Before 60 days prior to the award end date, if funding for the project will not continue, the PI and department administrator should work together on any human resources issues related to project termination.
  2. At 30-60 days prior to the award end date, determine whether a no-cost extension is required to complete project work. See No-Cost Extensions.
  3. Review reporting deadlines in award terms and conditions and/or sponsor policy.
  4. Follow-up with collaborators and subrecipients to obtain final reports and invoices marked as "Final".
    1. Within 30-45 days after the end of the project period subrecipient final documents should normally be submitted to the University. See Subaward Closeout procedure.
  5. If all reports and deliverables have been received from subrecipient, approve invoice for payment; review Management Reports to ensure expense has been posted.
  6. Reconcile expenses in Management Reports. Work with OSP and Grants and Contracts Accounting (GCA) to resolve any errors or issues.
  7. Ensure that ongoing expenses such as animal per diem costs are moved to a different project.
  8. Prepare and submit non-financial reports required by sponsor. See Report.
    1. A final project report is commonly required. See Final Technical Reports.
    2. An invention/patent report is often required and must include any invention first conceived or first reduced to practice by subrecipient personnel under their subaward. See Final Invention/Patent Reports.
    3. A fellowship award may require a termination form.
    4. If the sponsor requires a property (equipment) report, contact Property Accounting.
  9. Grants and Contracts Accounting (GCA) prepares and submits financial reports. Departments will need to submit final expenses.

Related Policies and Procedures

Be notified of page updates

Procedure Library Feedback

Do you have comments or suggestions for this procedure?

Last Updated: 12/1/22