Public Access Policy Compliance
Compliance with National Institutes of Health (NIH) Public Access Policy requirements.
All investigators with NIH funding including subrecipient investigators and collaborators. The NIH Public Access Policy applies to all peer-reviewed journal articles published on or after April 7, 2008 that arise from direct funding from an NIH grant or cooperative agreement. Principal Investigators (PIs) are responsible for making sure that all papers that are based on research from their NIH grants (whether they are an author of the paper, or not) are made available through PubMed Central. Compliance is managed in "My NCBI", a system managed by the National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).
- Log in to My NCBI with your eRA Commons Account.
- Link your My NCBI login to your eRA Commons Account (if eRA Commons is not your primary
login). (Visual aids are available in the NIH Training Materials and NIH Manuscript Submission System).
- Listed as "NIH & eRA Commons" in the list of partner accounts.
- Add citations into My Bibliography or designate a delegate to do so. Add all articles that are a direct result of an NIH grant and for which you were either PI of the grant or author of the paper. Listings in My Bibliography may include papers where a PI is not the author but their NIH funded research directly contributed to the paper. See NCBI information on creating a bibliography and adding citations directly from PubMed.
- Check your compliance status within My Bibliography.
- Submit non-compliant manuscripts using the NIH Manuscript Submission System.
- Approve incomplete submissions.
- Add funding information to a publication.
- Claim an exemption from the Policy.
Related Policies and Procedures
Be notified of page updates
Procedure Library Feedback
Do you have comments or suggestions for this procedure?