Review and complete any necessary reporting required by a sponsored project.
Principal Investigators (PIs) and department administrators managing sponsored projects.
Many sponsored project awards, particularly those supporting research, require non-financial reporting, such as technical reports and invention reports, as part of progress reporting and award closeout.
For more information, review the Grant Life Cycle information on Reports.
- Review the award terms and conditions and sponsor policy for report due dates.
- Technical (program) reports are prepared and submitted by the PI. Follow sponsor instructions
for format and submission.
- Any reference to financial information or personnel effort in a technical report must reflect what is reported in the financial reports. Contact Grants & Contracts Accounting (GCA) to verify financial information or to coordinate simultaneous submission of financial and technical reports when required.
- The PI prepares invention reports. A report is required even when the report states
that no inventions resulted from the award.
- The invention report for an award must include any inventions first conceived or first reduced to practice by any subrecipient personnel using the award funding.
- Inventions reported to the sponsor for a particular award must match the source of funds (external funding) reported on invention disclosures made to the PIVOT Center. Contact the PIVOT Center for assistance.
- Follow sponsor instructions for reporting. Use online forms when available.
- If the PI is for any reason unable to complete technical and invention reports, the
responsibility falls to a co-investigator, colleague, or the department chair to prepare
them for submission.
- For NIH awards, the SO can delegate progress report authority on behalf of another user.
- Retain copies of submitted reports for at least 3 years after submission.
- For proof of submission, keep a copy of report submission information, such as online submission confirmation, email, cover letter, or courier receipt.
Related Policies and Procedures
- Grant Life Cycle > Manage Your Award > Report
- Grant Life Cycle > Manage Your Award > Report > eSNAP/RPPR Reporting Preparation Instructions
- Grants Life Cycle > Manage Your Award > Report > NSF Research.gov Project Reports
- Grants Life Cycle > Manage Your Award > Report > ARO Interim Progress Reporting System (pdf)
- Grant Life Cycle > Manage Your Award > Final Technical Report
- Grant Life Cycle > Manage Your Award > Final Invention Report
Be notified of page updates
Procedure Library Feedback
Do you have comments or suggestions for this procedure?