Policies & Compliance
- Research Handbook
- 1. Roles & Responsibilities
- 2. Standards for Conduct of Research
- 3. Overview of Sponsored Projects Administration
- 4. Funding Sources & Opportunities
- 5. Proposal Development
- 6. Budget Development
- 7. Procedures for the Submission of Proposals
- 8. Award Acceptance
- 9. Award Management
- 10. Research Related Regulations, Policies & Procedures
- 11. Other Conduct of Research Issues
- 12. Acronyms & Definitions
- 13. Glossary
- Procedure Library
- Regulations Library
- Export Controls
9.2 Financial Management
The federal government has extensive oversight for financial and regulatory compliance. The compliance environment has become much more rigid. Government agencies and private industry insist upon assurance that funds are appropriately spent and that the work is completed and at the highest standards.
In addition, compliance with a diversity of laws, assurance that charges to sponsored projects are allowable and allocable, and documentation of cost sharing and program income are critical issues in university audits. Listed below are some regulatory areas of concern.
See also Manage Your Budget in the Grant Life Cycle.
9.2.1 Financial Management Reports
The Office of Grants & Contracts Accounting prepares monthly financial management reports. These reports summarize the monthly expenditures and are sent to the PI’s. The management reports consist of four separate reports: Summary of Revenue and Expense, Detail Transactions, Encumbrance Report and Balance Sheet.
- Post-Award Administration
- Financial Management
- Summary of Revenue & Expenses
- Detail Transactions Report
- Post-Award Changes & Approvals
- Effort Reporting
- Other Financial Management Issues
- Reporting Responsibility
- Records Retention