OSP Business Practices - Proposal Preparation
Clarify proposal application support services and expectations.
Principal Investigators (PIs) and department administrators working on proposals, ideally, at least 4-6 weeks prior to the deadline and who would like proposal preparation assistance in advance of OSP review.
- Upon request, OSP can provide assistance by:
- Analyzing the solicitation;
- Explaining standard proposal components and providing templates, if available;
- Explaining electronic submission requirements and creating user accounts;
- Completing and/or coordinating the representations and certifications;
- Providing templates for commitment letters;
- Explaining required subcontract documentation;
- Reviewing and explaining any exceptional or problematic terms and develop exception letters, if needed;
- Explaining additional approval processes, if needed;
- Implementing the review and signature process.
Pre-Award Proposal Preparation Support:
- Proposal preparation assistance can be requested through the VPR's Pre-Award Office (subject to availability and limitations). Services include all those listed above
as well as the following:
- Budget preparation;
- Gathering institutional resources necessary for the proposal (i.e. education outreach plans, data management plans, technology access plans, etc.)
- Prepare agency application forms;
- Assemble the proposal and review the text for narrative consistency;
- Facilitate editorial review through the writing center, as requested and available; and
- Facilitate pre-submission peer or consultant review of the technical aspects of the proposal (provided the application is otherwise complete 3 weeks prior to the due date).
Related Policies and Procedures
- Procedure Library > OSP Business Practices - Communication
- Procedure Library > OSP Business Practices - Proposal Review & Submission
- Grant Life Cycle > Submit Your Proposal > Understand Submission Processes
Be notified of page updates
Procedure Library Feedback
Do you have comments or suggestions for this procedure?