Policies & Compliance
- Research Handbook
- 1. Roles & Responsibilities
- 2. Standards for Conduct of Research
- 3. Overview of Sponsored Projects Administration
- 4. Funding Sources & Opportunities
- 5. Proposal Development
- 6. Budget Development
- 7. Procedures for the Submission of Proposals
- 8. Award Acceptance
- 9. Award Management
- 10. Research Related Regulations, Policies & Procedures
- 11. Other Conduct of Research Issues
- 12. Acronyms & Definitions
- 13. Glossary
- Procedure Library
- Regulations Library
- Export Controls
Write a Budget Justification
Write a budget justification for a proposal budget.
Principal Investigators (PIs) and administrators preparing proposal budgets. A good budget justification (also known as a budget narrative) supports the proposed budget.
- Follow sponsor instructions for the budget justification. Look for limitations such
as number of pages or amount of detail to be provided.
- National Institutes of Health provides instructions for modular budget justifications
- In the absence of specific sponsor instructions, follow the same order for the items in the budget justification as in the itemized budget or sponsor's budget form, so that reviewers can easily compare the two documents.
- Explain why items are essential in relation to the aims and methodology of the project as well as meeting the goals of the project. Articulate how the funds requested are reasonable to complete the project.
- Make sure that the budget and budget justification match. For example, if consultant services are budgeted, ensure that the number of hours or days, the rate, and the calculation are the same in both the budget and the justification.
- Each subrecipient should provide a justification to accompany the subrecipient's budget. The budget justification for the overall proposal should list any proposed subrecipients with the subrecipient PI, the total cost, and a brief description of the subrecipient's role in the project.
Related Policies and Procedures
- Grant Development Services > Research Toolkit > Grantsmanship Tools
Be notified of page updates
Procedure Library Feedback
Do you have comments or suggestions for this procedure?