NIH Fellowship Activation & Termination
Provide guidance to NIH fellowship awardees, their faculty sponsors, and departments for activating and terminating the award.
- Fellows will receive a notice of award (NOA) that will state the latest activation
date (highlighted below).
- All fellows must complete an Activation Notice for the first year of their fellowship, indicating their start date under the fellowship
and other requested information. An activation notice bearing original signatures must be submitted to the awarding
component before funds are expended. No funds may be disbursed until the fellow enters on duty and the proper forms are
submitted to PHS.
- An Activation Notice is not required in subsequent years unless the fellowship is at a foreign or Federal site.
- In addition, a Payback Agreement MUST be submitted, along with the Activation Notice, for all postdoctoral trainees beginning their initial Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) appointment.
- An appropriate statement regarding degrees (certified by degree-granting institution) MUST be attached if such contingency appears on the award notice.
- The fellow and/or department admin must contact their Sponsored Projects Officer (SPO) to coordinate Institutional Business Official signature.
- When ready, the fellow and/or department admin must send the signed forms to the awarding
agency using the address provided in the Notice of Award. If unsure, please verify
with SPO. There is no electronic submission system for fellowship activation notices
- but since COVID, NIH has been more flexible with accepting electronic signatures
- This should be submitted immediately after the fellow enters on duty.
- Parties should keep a copy for their records.
- Once activated the University will recieve a notice of award that shows the start
date. This NOA, along with the signed activation form, and the original Notice of
Fellowship Award, should be attached to the new project setup request in eAward.
- As a condition of the activation, all NRSA fellows agree to complete and submit a Termination Notice (PHS 416-7) immediately upon completion of support. Fellows must use the eRA Commons xTrain system to prepare Termination Notices.
- Termination notices should be assigned/routed to Sally Peterson (Grants & Contracts Accounting) in xTrain and GCA will verify and submit.
- The Termination Notice (along with the PHS 2271 Statement of Appointment form) is the basis for validating the total period of Kirschstein-NRSA support and establishing the amount of payback obligation, if any, for each Kirschstein-NRSA trainee.
- The PD/PI is responsible for submitting a Termination Notice for each trainee within 30 days of the end of the total period of support even if the trainee is not available for signature.
In most cases, the information on the form must be verified by the program director and an institutional business official, however, in cases where the program director is not available to sign the Notice within the required timeframe, the form may be verified by the institutional business official alone. The lack of timely and accurate information on this form could adversely affect data collected associated with aggregate NRSA support and the payback process. Recipients are required to submit the PHS 416-7 data electronically using the xTrain application.
No Termination Notice is required for prebaccalaureate (T34) trainees