Determine Gift or Sponsored Project
Determine whether funding received from an external source (the "sponsor" or "donor") is considered a gift or a sponsored project, for proper management of funds.
Faculty and others who receive funds from a source external to the University of Utah for program support.
- Treat the funds as a sponsored project if one or more of the characteristics outlined
in What is a Sponsored Project apply.
- Ultimately a sponsored project is any funding that requires institutional authorization and/or contains reporting obligations and/or contains any technical or financial terms and conditions.
- If the funds are considered to be a sponsored project based on one or more characteristics listed above, the funds will be managed using the procedures of OSP and GCA and a Document Summary Sheet is required.
- If the funds are considered to be a gift, the funds will be managed through the Office of Development or the relevant college.
Related Policies and Procedures
- Research Handbook > Overview of Sponsored Project Administration > What is a Sponsored Project?