On- and Off-Campus Resources to Aid in Proposal Development
Comprehensive instructions on developing research proposals that are well-written, convincing, organized, considerate of the unique sponsor, and which remeber not only to describe but also market the research idea. The guide also touches on common pitfalls and reasons for rejections. From the University of Michigan
Comprehensive instructions on developing research proposals that are well-written, convincing, organized, tailored to the sponsor, and also market the research idea. The guide also touches on common pitfalls and reasons for rejection. From the University of Michigan
A directory of University, State and Federal resources for outreach, education and diversity. Includes contact information and descriptions for resource offices for women and diversity, K-12, mentoring, special education and disability services.
BROADER IMPACTS RESOURCES
Broader Impact activity and outreach ideas for communicating science with the public. Includes suggestions for K-12, students, the general public, and underserved groups. Also see the Broader Impacts Guiding Principles from the National Association for Broader Impacts Working Group (NABI).
Getting Started Grant Writing for Early/Mid-Career Faculty from the U of Denver
Proposal Basics: Creating Ancillary Grant Documents from the U of Denver
NSF Career Webinar slides (from USU)
Our team has several of these books available on loan. Contact us to borrow one.
Glossary of Grant Terms (from the City of Richmond, VA)
Proposal Development Toolkit (from Sinclair College):
- Researching Funding Sources
- Defining Project Need
- Creating Goals, Objectives and Activities
- Identifying Project Resources
- Creating the Management Plan
- Designing the Evaluation Plan
- Sustaining and Institutionalizing Your Project
Proposal Preparation and Grant Management Guide (from Macalester College)
Guide for Writing a Proposal for the social sciences (from Macalester College)
Key to understanding which agency is likely to fund your project is to look at what has been awarded. The databases below include information on funded proposals, such as research abstracts, PIs, affiliations, and program information.
- SciVal Funding - Award Database Search
- Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP)
- Department of Education Institute for Education Sciences (IES)
- Department of Energy Office of Science (DoE OS)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Federal RePORTER (includes USDA, DoD, EPA, FDA, HHS, NASA, NSF, VA)
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
- Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS)
- National Endowment for the Arts (NEA)
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH)
- National Institutes of Health RePORTER (includes NIH, CDC, AHRQ, HRSA, SAMSA, VA)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
FAR & Find-a-Researcher
FAR is a suite of tools that collect and report faculty activity data.
- Faculty Profiles - research profiles make up the Find a Researcher database and display University of Utah faculty, instructors, and graduate students. Update your Profile and enhance your searchability!
- Find a Researcher - database of faculty and grad students that draws data from both FAR and MBM. Search by entering names, research keywords, department, etc. to find research topic experts.
- Annual Faculty Activity Report
- FAR Aggregate and Individual Reporting
- FAR Self Service
University of Utah Research Profiles is a profiling and research networking tool that makes it easy for researchers to find other researchers within the University and across institutions. It also works synchronously with SciVal Funding, allowing researchers to setup automated funding searches based on research goals and experience.
Uspace is the University of Utah's open access institutional repository. Uspace collects and archives intellectual articles, papers, research and other scholarly endeavors.
The Mentoring Network is a mentoring resource for faculty, staff, postdocs, and students.
University of Utah
Office of Budget and Institutional Analysis (OBIA) provides statistics on enrollment and diversity at the University of Utah. You can search by college and department, as well as university-wide. Information is available from 1975.
UK Snowball Metrics - Global Standards for Institutional Benchmarking
STEM & EDUCATION
NSF WebCASPAR (institution-specific time series data)
STEMcentral - a collection of resources for the community working to improvoe undergraduate STEM education
STAR metrics - Science and Technology for America's Reinvestment measures the effect of research on innovation, competitiveness, and science
Data Management Plan libguide is the most comprehensive site for data management plans and related information.
A group of major research institutions has partnered to create a flexible online tool to help researchers generate data management plans. This provides a sponsor-specific guidance and resources for writing a data managment plan.
Additional Resources from the OFFICE OF SPONSORED PROJECTS:
Includes proposal checklists, guidelines on proposal preparation by sponsor, and templates for biographical sketches, budgets, and other common NIH and NSF components are found below.