NSF Fastlane/Research.gov Access
Obtain a National Science Foundation (NSF) Fastlane account to maintain compliance with applicable federal agency requirements and University of Utah requirements.
Principal Investigators (PIs) or their designees applying for or managing NSF grants.
- To obtain a new NSF Fastlane and Research.gov Account and Add a New Role, users now register themselves by following the steps outlined in the Register for an NSF Account process.
- A PI should have only one account, and request affiliation when moving between institutions.
Per University Policy 4-010, personal profiles will need to have a University of Utah enterprise email listed. If users list a personal email, the request will be denied until it's revised.
- Accounts must be affiliated with the University of Utah in order for a user to create proposals to be submitted by the University of Utah OSP.
- To affiliate an existing Fastlane account with Utah, users can add roles at a new organization to your existing NSF account. See Working at Multiple Organizations or Moving to Another Organization in the registration process.
OSP will need to approve your role in Research.gov. We recommend that you contact your Sponsored Projects Officer and let him/her know that you have made the request and it is now pending OSP approval.
NOTE ON ROLES: The investigator role is for senior/key personnel on a proposal. Other Authorized User (OAU) role is for department research admins who will need to work in FastLane or Research.gov to assist investigators. Organizational or Financial roles will not be authorized for most users.
- Departments administrators should only ever request the Other Authorized User (OAU) role
- Faculty should only ever request an Investigator role.
- OSP will get an email notification that an account has been affiliated so that roles
can be confirmed/managed. Once approved, individual users will receive a confirmation
- PI's with existing accounts have to request affiliation.
- OSP can only manage affiliation for the University of Utah.
- Individual users must request a password reset. OSP cannot prompt this action.
- OSP can see what email address was used to create the account, but cannot change it.
Related Policies and Procedures
Be notified of page updates
Procedure Library Feedback
Do you have comments or suggestions for this procedure?