2. Directorates and Program Areas
We encourage you to find out which program supports your research area by looking over the agency's website to determine which Directorate represents the best fit for your expertise and interests. Multi-disciplinary proposals may require selection of more than one Directorate/Program.
NSF makes the abstracts of all funded proposals available. The Award Abstracts Database lets you see in which directorate and division your program belongs. Also, consider becoming an NSF panel reviewer. It's an important service and is the best way to see first hand what reviewer's look for.
- Biological Sciences (BIO)
- Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE)
- Education and Human Resources (EHR)
- Engineering (ENG)
- Geosciences (GEO)
- Mathematical and Physical Sciences (MPS)
- Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences (SBE)
Other Program Areas
- Environmental Research and Education (ERE)
- Advanced Cyberinfrastructure (ACI)
- Office of International Science and Engineering (OISE)
- Division of Polar Programs (PLR)
Specific contacts by Directorate and program can be found here.
Please discuss expectations and approaches best suited to the particular discipline and NSF program, expected proposal budget limits and other areas with the NSF program officer. Have a summary of your proposed CAREER project prepared before this conversation.
Read more in Advice for Contacting Your Program Officer.