NIH Commons eSNAP/RPPR Preparation Instructions
UPDATE: The Research Performance Progress Report (RPPR) is now required for ALL annual progress reports. RPPR replaced the eSNAP progress reports for SNAP awards. For more information, please see RPPR.
The RPPR and eSNAP modules have a number of similarities:
- The substance of the RPPR is not significantly different from an eSNAP. The grantee will be asked to describe progress, study results, the significance of the findings, and any significant changes.
- Where possible, information is pre-populated from NIH systems for the grantee, including PD/PI information, grant number, project title and period, performance sites, and personnel.
- Publications in the PD/PI's MyNCBI account will be displayed for easy association with the progress report.
- Information required by NIH policies will continue to be requested from grantees.
NIH requires electronic submission of progress reports by means of the Research Performance Progress Report (RPPR). The requirement applies to most NIH research grant mechanisms, including SNAP, non-SNAP, and Fellowship Progress Reports, with start dates on or after July 1, 2013. To prepare the report, consult the RPPR Instruction Guide for detailed guidance.
- Login to eRA Commons. Click on the "Personal Profile" tab to update your personal information, if necessary.
- Designate another registered Commons user (such as a Departmental Administrator) as a "PI Delegate," if desired. The PI Delegate may prepare a report on behalf of the PI but not submit it. To designate a PI Delegate, click the "Administration" tab, "Accounts" tab and finally, "Delegate PI" tab. From the box on the left, select the name of the person to whom PI authority will be delegated. Click the "Assign" button and then the "Save" button when the confirmation screen appears. A confirmation e-mail is sent to the selected PI Delegate.
- Click on the "RPPR" tab. Click the hyperlink of the appropriate grant number. This opens the RPPR Menu page.
- Click "Initiate" to begin the report. Open the "Edit" tab. Complete each of the applicable business sections. The RPPR will have separate screens for each of the following reporting components:
- Cover Page;
- Special [agency specific] reporting requirements
- SF424 Budget [applicable only for non-snap awards]
New information to be provided by grantees through the RPPR includes:
- Foreign component information
- Dollars spent in foreign country(ies) [through first-tier subawards]
- Organizational affiliation of personnel at foreign sites
Be sure to click the "save" button at the bottom of each section.
Note: When completing the Organizational Information section of the report, PI's should select his/her Sponsored Projects Officer as the Administrative Official (AO) and as the Signing Official (SO).
- The format of the RPPR will be different from eSNAP. Users will answer questions by using a checkbox, entering text or uploading a PDF, or selecting "Nothing to Report".
- Public Access compliance status will be displayed. Associate the report with any peer-reviewed publications directly related to the project. Use NIH's "My NCBI" system to do this. Tour NCBI for information about creating an NCBI account, linking that account to your eRA Commons account, and uploading publications. Note: You must comply with NIH's Public Access Policy.
- Click the "Validate" button to confirm that all required fields have been filled out.
- Click the "Route" button to forward the eSNAP report to OSP. The Sponsored Projects Officer responsible for your department, to whom you send the report, must be listed as AO in the Organizational Information section of the eSNAP Business Items. Once OSP and the PI agree that the report is ready to be submitted to NIH, the Sponsored Projects Officer will submit the eSNAP report.
- Once the "Route" button is clicked, PIs will no longer be able to edit the eSNAP report. PIs may edit the report by using the "Recall" button. This pulls the report out of the routing sequence. After making the desired changes, you must click the "Route" button again to re-route the report.