Commercialization - Translational Research
The Technology & Venture Commercialization (TVC) office is the best resource for commercialization at the University. TVC has detailed information on the following:
In addition to commercializing technologies at the University, TVC also hosts the following programs and services:
An up-to-date comprehensive list of commercialization opportunities can be found through a SciVal search. Some of those opportunities are also mentioned here:
- DOD Airforce
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) & Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR): The Air Force SBIR/STTR site provides a means for dissemination informatino about current news events, program terminology and procedures, and organizational points of contact.
- NIH National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences: Research projects at NCATS focus on addressing scientific and technical challenges to reduce, remove of bypass bottlenecks in the development of new treatments and tests that will ultimately improve human health.
- NSF Grant Opportunities for Academic Liaison with Industry (GOALI)
is a program that seeks to stimulate collaboration between academic research institutions and industry. It requires the participation of an industrial partner.
Starting Jan 30th, 2017 GOALI program changed significantly and now offers two separate options:
- A GOALI proposal - must be submitted to an active NSF funding opportunity and must be submitted in accordance with the deadlines specified therein.
- A GOALI supplemental funding - adds GOALI elements to a currently funded NSF research project.
GOALI proposals should focus on research that addresses shared interests by academic researchers and industrial partners. The proposed research should be transformative, beneficial to industry, and include the collaboration between academic and industrial partners. The proposals should advance scientific and engineering foundations to enable future breakthrough technologies with the potential to address critical industry needs.
- Industrial Innovation and Partnerships (IIP)
- NSF I-Corps:
- State of Utah, and Utah Science Technology and Research Initiative (USTAR) have several programs supporting commercialization effort done either by University faculty (UTAG, IPP) or companies (TCIP, TAP).
- This is the main site for federal bids. All DOD solicitations requiring bid must be posted here. Register and get email updates for searches that match your criteria.
- Note that the email report requires subscription but if you go to the "Federal" tab you can perform a search by category for free.
- This site is for DOD contracts listed at over 5M.
- Note that the email report requires subscription but if you go to the "State and Local" tab you can perform a search by category for free.
- Use the standard Bid Sync, which is free, email notifications available.
- List of Utah state agencies that can be independently searched for business opportunities
General Sites for Information
- Government Business Reference Services site provides links to all government procurement sites, national lab technologies to license, etc.